Hello, new site visitors!

21 Aug

Carla at The YardIt’s been a crazy summer since my essay “What the Guys I Date Don’t Know” was published in Marie Claire‘s June issue. Even crazier when AOL picked it up and put it on its home page. Now, every once and a while, there’s a spike of interest in the essay and I find out it’s popped up somewhere else new (someone mentioned it showed up in a Yahoo news feed yesterday?). Just wanted to say thanks for the continued support–of my writing and of me. To have so many people find some sort of inspiration or connection in my essay has been really inspiring and mind-blowing. To all of you who have written to say you’ve been able to relate to my story with your own, rock the hell on. We’ve all got our stuff, and we all rule. Write, draw and sing it out (karaoke or otherwise). Create!

Here’s a photo from last weekend at a Brooklyn hipster party. I didn’t really rate on the cool scale there, but it was fun!

c.

6 Responses to “Hello, new site visitors!”

1. Wade Johnston August 21, 2009 at 11:12 am #

I found your article on what guys dont know very interesting. I have a condition where I have many lipomas. These are hard lumps visible under the skin and appear all over my body. They started in college and and continued to get worse. I have spent my life covering them up and hoping folks dont notice. Thank God I married a woman that did not care. A person that care about you as a person, lover and friend is what matters.

2. Herman August 21, 2009 at 1:56 pm #

Thank you Carla for a short article that Im sure hits home with many.
    In this not so and so not perfect world its amazing the pressure we or society put on each other to have the illusion of perfection.
    As a single guy trying to not become a master of there own throw away first dates as you mentioned, I find myself well drawn to someone with a real story, such as yours.
    So Joel is nothing new he just is a real person with some real sence.
    I found your story truely inlighting.
    As we all get older our imperfections become way more transparent to others as well as there ability and knowlege into reality is better. In other our BS detectors are sharper.
    Woman seem to perfect that one from all the practice. Or Bs they indur, depends on how you want to verbalize that one.
    I grew up a shy frecled face chubby kid named Herman, My freckles faded, My Jaw squared up, my chubbyness became brawnyness, no one teases that kind of a man, yet I still see out of the same eyes. My view of me can be the same if I let it.
    I even created a product that changes ones facial image (graphic wicked masks) in a unusual and graphic manner of skulls and such only to become succesful. So people who look great want to look scary and cool, those that are scary just want to fit in. What a great world and training ground.
    So be brilliant keep inspiring those that have uncontrolable conditions to keep ther chin up, and open the eyes of the rest of the worlds critics.
    Your amazing.
    Herman

3. Alex Young September 5, 2009 at 4:06 pm #

I was born with KT as well, and wanted to tell you how much I admire you Carla.

Thank you for your article.

Sincerely,

Alex Young

4. Nancee November 23, 2009 at 11:21 pm #

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your story (just picked up an old magazine in the salon). My 17 year old son has KT syndrome (and similar symptoms) as well. I was glad to hear he is not alone out there. I am intereseted in your blog and would love to e-mail you if you have time! Thanks Nancee!

5. Nancee November 23, 2009 at 11:28 pm #

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your story (I picked up an old magazine in a salon). My 17 year old son has KT (and similar symptoms). I am glad to know he isn’t alone out there. I would love to speak with you by email. Thanks!!

6. Nancee November 23, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

Sorry for the duplicate posting!!