Stick around for awhile, won’tcha?

21 May

Thank you all so much for the interest and support since my essay “What the Guys I Date Don’t Know” (originally published in the June issue of Marie Claire) popped up on the AOL home page. Now that you’re here, I’d love for you to check out some of my other essays. I’ve stuck a bunch of my favorites in a handy little category called Faves (brilliant, no?). It’s right over there! Look! ——————————————————>

xo c.

6 Responses to “Stick around for awhile, won’tcha?”

1. gordon mcguire May 21, 2009 at 6:27 pm #

that’s quite a different story than mine. somehow now it hits home why so many women have told me after seeing me they feel more comfortable with their own bodys. i guess in my quest for a pain free wandering thru life i found at 41 the most accurate diagnosis for me is kt syndrome also.
    there’s a long story of me at : http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2004-07-29/news/my-right-foot/
    heres the opening. it may seemingly fit for you too,,,
    My Right Foot
    Gordon McGuire’s becoming a role model for the severely disfigured. But he’s by no means any sweet-natured Elephant Man type.
    good luck. write sometime

• Nancy May 21, 2009 at 8:31 pm #

Ha ha
      I will definitely read your other stuff!

2. Holly May 21, 2009 at 8:39 pm #

hi – I tried some of those links when I first stopped by. They were maddeningly slow to load. That’s why id din’t pursue it further, read and comment. I will check them out tomorrow. You have a nice balance of wit, reality, and humility.

3. Daren May 21, 2009 at 11:54 pm #

Carla,

Enjoyed reading your piece. I’m a congenital right arm and right leg amputee so, while I may not be able to empathize with having K-T, I certainly can empathisize with your plight. I think my version of your piece would be “What the Women I Date Too Easily Know.” (BTW, I loved the comment from the guy on AOL who said you should basically date “your own kind.” Yeah, as if I could find havens of double amputee women hopping around for my taking….) I look forward to reading more from you and debating which of us limps more… 😉

4. Marci May 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm #

Carla–

We have to meet!! I also have K-T, and can relate!! Please contact me.

Thanks,
    Marci

5. Katie January 29, 2010 at 12:27 am #

Carla-
    All I can say is, “Wow.”
    I also have KTS, and it stretches from my left foot to right below my left hip. I found your article tonight while I was writing a personal essay for school. I can relate so much to what you spoke about in your essay. It would be nice to talk to someone who lives (though somewhat uncomfortably) with KTS.

Best of Luck,