My Marie Claire essay runs on the AOL homepage!

19 May

It’s story No. 1! Woohoo!

7 Responses to “My Marie Claire essay runs on the AOL homepage!”

1. Barry May 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

Ms. Sosenko,

I was fortunate to have just read your story on Marie Claire. I have none of the difficutlites you have and never had. However as a young person while in High School, I went through a ugly duckling stage. Everyone told me I was ugly and I eventually believed them. I became a Swan on my way to College but I did not see the wonderful, beautiful person I am. I only saw ugly. As I entered college, a new set of people kept telling me how attractive and handsome I was. The picture became clear that I had blossomed. But I have never forgot that I had not changed inside. I was the same person. So, I never look at the outside first but the inside of someone. If they are beautiful inside I could care less what they look like on the outside. To me you are beautiful…..period.

2. Jennifer Audrie May 19, 2009 at 4:20 pm #

Carla, I just got finished reading your wonderful story on AOL. It was very well written. Thank you for sharing your story.
    I look forward to reading more of your work.
    ~Jenni

3. NG May 19, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

Hi Carla,

A very well written piece I read on AOL – Marie Claire Essay … it brings out the hidden emotions some in our society live with, while the world runs away with eyes shut, missing the beauty that lies within each soul. Thank you for exposing the fears of some who do not achieve their potential due to the vanity of society. I will look for your essays from now on.

NG

4. Virginia May 19, 2009 at 5:12 pm #

Carla- I read your story on AOL this morning, and I thought you were so courageous and yes, fiesty, to write your very personal story. I understand the apprehension and fears about dating, as my body is like Jaye Davidson in the movie. Thank you for bringing your life into the public sphere, so maybe all of us can look at the person, and not look as our culture has taught us, to look only for body perfection.

5. Mark Symms May 19, 2009 at 5:27 pm #

Carla, my soon to be 13 year old daughter has K-T. She has been to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN every year to every other year since she was 13 months old. I believe her condition is more severe than yours, but I do not know all your details. Your story was very encouraging for me. Most fathers don’t want their daughters to date. I pray that mine will find someone who will look for the beauty in her soul not the deformaties of her body. Like you Baylie is a true beauty. She is also extremely intelligent and artisticly talented. I consider myself blessed to have her. I hope to read more of your work. Thank you for sharing your condition.

6. marie May 19, 2009 at 6:25 pm #

I am so excited to see an article about someone with KT & on AOL’s front page! Thank you for having the courage to talk about your situation. I too am lucky to have a mild case of KT. I look forward to reading your memoir. Email anytime!

7. Kara May 19, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

I just read your story on AOL. I completely understand how you feel and what you have gone through.

I have Alopecia Areata. Although what I have is different from your condition, we share the same feelings. I have some hair but choose to wear wigs. I am a veteran at internet dating. I’m so scared someone will touch the back of my head or brush the hair from my eyes, or just touch me in general. I stay on guard at all times. And like you, once the truth is revealed I never hear from my dates again, even the ones that say they are cool with it. I feel it’s their ignorance that keeps them away and it helps to weed out the bad from the good.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am grateful to have come across your article.